Do you mediate in the courts or another agency, volunteer in your community, and/or have an established private mediation practice? Are you a beginning mediator committed to developing your skills? Are you interested in connecting with other practitioners in the field? If you answered yes to any of these questions, the Maryland Program for Mediator Excellence (MPME) is for you! By joining the MPME, you demonstrate to the public and to mediation roster managers that you are committed to excellence and continuous learning in your practice.
MPME members can access the following benefits:
- The opportunity to be included in our easy to search MPME Mediator Directory available to the public
- Networking and learning with both novice and experienced mediators from different settings, frameworks, and locations, that are committed to excellence through ongoing education and skills improvement
- Full access to the MPME website, which provides information on continuing education events, space for members to communicate with each other by participating in an online community, access to a resource library, and more
- A sense of community and engagement in the Maryland mediation field
- Availability of a program to address client and mediator disputes in a restorative manner
There is no fee to be a member of the MPME. Mediators are eligible to apply for MPME membership after completing a 40- to 50-hour basic mediation training. By joining the MPME, members commit to:
- Complete at least ten (10) hours of continuing education annually:
- eight (8) hours of continuing mediator education
- two (2) hours of ethics training
- abide by the Maryland Standards of Conduct for Mediators; and
- cooperate in good faith with the Mediation Ombuds Program.