Request for Certificate of Good Standing

Attorneys who do not have any disciplinary action against them can obtain a Certificate of Good Standing from the Supreme Court. The certificate is a notification that the attorney is presently in good standing and licensed to practice in the State of Maryland. Certificates are often requested when an attorney practices outside of the state.

To obtain a Certificate of Good Standing you may write a letter or use the fillable PDF form linked below (which may be downloaded to your computer for repeated use), which can be printed from your computer. Include a $7.00 check made payable to:

Clerk of the Supreme Court

Send your letter or the completed form with payment and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:

Supreme Court of Maryland
Robert C. Murphy Courts of Appeal Building
361 Rowe Boulevard, 4th Floor
Annapolis, MD  21401

Download Fillable PDF Form

We are not able to accept electronic payment at this time and cannot issue a Certificate of Good Standing prior to receiving payment. To receive a Certificate of Good Standing on an expedited basis, you can FedEx/UPS the request and payment with a return FedEx/UPS envelope, send a courier with the request and payment, or come in person with payment to the Clerk's Office Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For questions or additional information about Certificates of Good Standing, please contact the Clerk's Office at (410) 260-1500 or by email to

A Certificate of Good Standing is not the same thing as a Letter of Disciplinary History, which is issued by the Attorney Grievance Commission.

To request a letter of your disciplinary history, please send a signed letter requesting the information. The request can be made by regular mail (Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland, 200 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Suite 300, Annapolis, Maryland 21401); or by email attachment to The letter should be addressed to the attention of the Office of Bar Counsel. Please include a return address or the address where the letter should be sent (if the letter is to be sent directly to another state’s Admissions Office). For questions or additional information, call (410) 514-7051.