This site provides information for lawyers who practice before Maryland courts. Find information you need in the left menu. The pages you visit will include information about oral argument schedules, appellate opinions, unreported appellate opinions and other areas of interest.

FAQs for Lawyers

Change of Mailing Address

I am an active attorney in Maryland and my mailing address has changed. Who should I contact?
Change of address information must be reported to the Client Protection Fund at 200 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Suite 350, Annapolis, MD 21401, or you may fax the information to the Fund at 410-897-0555.

Change of Name

Who should I contact to change my name on the official "roll of attorneys"?
If you are an attorney and wish to change your name on the Supreme Court of Maryland official roll of attorneys, you must submit a written request to do so. Please be specific as to how you wish your name to appear, e.g., "from Jane Anne Smith to Jane Smith Johnson" or "from Jane Anne Smith to Jane A. Johnson," etc. You must also include a certified (raised seal) copy of the document that changes your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, name change order). Do not send your only certified copy because we keep what you send to us for the Court's records. The Court notifies the Client Protection Fund of the Bar of Maryland and the Maryland State Bar Association of your name change so their records can be amended to reflect this change.

Submit the written request to:

Supreme Court of Maryland
Attn: Clerk's Office
Robert C. Murphy Courts of Appeal Building
361 Rowe Blvd., Fourth Floor
Annapolis, MD 21401

Upon receipt, you will receive a written confirmation from the Clerk's Office.

Certificate of Good Standing

How do I get a Certificate of Good Standing?
A Certificate of Good Standing certifies that an attorney is licensed to practice in the State of Maryland. Attorneys who do not have any disciplinary action against them can obtain a Certificate of Good Standing from the Supreme Court of Maryland. Certificates are often requested when an attorney practices outside of the state. You can use the online form to request a Certificate of Good Standing.

NOTE: A Certificate of Good Standing should not be confused with a Certificate of Status for businesses, which is available through the Department of Assessments and Taxation.

Attorney Status

How do I go on inactive status or return to active status?
To go on inactive status, you will need to file an affidavit of inactive/retired status and pay past dues. To return to active status, you must give written notice to the trustees and pay the current fiscal year's assessment. For more detailed information, see the Client Protection Fund's FAQs.

Bar Numbers

Does Maryland issue bar numbers to new attorneys?
No. Although many states furnish their attorneys with "bar numbers," Maryland has not adopted this practice. Attorneys licensed to practice in Maryland are identified by their names.

Pro Bono Reporting

Where do I file my pro bono report?
The Pro Bono report and the IOLTA report requirements have been combined. For instructions on filing both reports, see Attorney Reporting Requirements.