ATTORNEYS - IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- FY2019 Assessments were mailed to all active attorneys at their last known address.
- August 31, 2018
- Deadline for payment of annual assessment and compliance with federal tax identification number disclosure.
- Deadline for submitting notarized Affidavit of Inactive/Retired Status. No Affidavit will be accepted after this date. The next opportunity to change your status to Inactive/Retired will be July, 2019.
- September 1 2018
- First late fee of $25.00 assessed for non-compliance.
- January 1, 2019
- Second late fee of $50.00 assessed for non-compliance.
- February 15, 2019
- Deadline for the Fund, pursuant to Rule 19-606, to submit to the Court of Appeals the list of attorneys who are not in compliance with the FY19 Annual Assessment & Disclosure. A Final Notice of Delinquency will be mailed to non-compliant attorneys at their last known address.
- March, 2019
- The Fund submits to the Court of Appeals a proposed Temporary Suspension Order. The Order is typically signed during the March Conference, at the discretion of the Court. Upon the signing of the Order, attorneys appearing on the list will be immediately suspended from the practice of law in Maryland.
- June 1, 2019
- Attorneys are required to register with the Attorney Information System (“AIS”) on or before June 1, 2019 (see Maryland Rule 19-802).
PAYMENTS: Payment of the Annual Assessment may be made by check or money order and mailed or hand delivered to the Fund. The Assessment may also be paid by credit card through the Attorney Information System (“AIS”). Credit card payments are not accepted via telephone.
MAINTAINING CONTACT INFORMATION: Pursuant to Rule 19-802, attorneys are required to register with AIS on or before June 1, 2019. Attorneys shall update their AIS account within 30 days after becoming aware of a change in the information, including business and personal addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses. AIS and constituent agencies have the right to rely on the latest information in AIS for billing and disciplinary purposes and for other correspondence or communication.
QUESTIONS: If you have questions concerning these dates, your status, or need assistance with registering for the Attorney Information System, please contact the Fund at 410-630-8140.