Employment Issues

My employer didn’t pay me, what can I do?

If you believe your employer owes you $5,000 or less, you can file a case in small claims court for the unpaid wages. Small claims cases are heard by the District Court, and usually involve relatively simple court procedures.

For an amount over $5,000, but under $30,000, you can file a claim in either District Court or Circuit Court. If your claim is for over $30,000, you must file your claim in Circuit Court. Cases outside of small claims court involve formal court procedures and, in Circuit Court, the discovery process (a chance for both sides to learn more about the facts of the case). You may want to consider speaking to a lawyer.

After you file your claim, the court will send you a trial date and a summons. You will need to arrange for the defendant (your employer) to be served with the summons and all papers you filed with the court. At trial, you will present evidence that your employer owes you the money and a judge will decide your case. If you file your claim in a Circuit Court, you or the defendant may choose to have a jury trial.

If you believe an employer has discriminated against you illegally on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth, national origin, age, disability, or citizenship, file one or more complaints with:

For complaints about unpaid wages, unsafe working conditions, and other employment issues, file a complaint with:

For labor issues relating to a union or “concerted activity” by employees, contact the National Labor Relations Board.

I was hurt at work, how do I file for compensation?

Notify your employer of your injury, and file a claim with the Maryland Worker’s Compensation Commission. For additional information about worker's compensation claims in Maryland, see the People's Law Library.