Applications and Ceremonies:
30 Washington Street
Cumberland, MD 21502
Marriage Application Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday (with no break for lunch)
Marriage Ceremonies Performed: Monday thru Friday, 9:00 a.m. to Noon and 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- If you apply in Allegany County you must be married in Allegany County
- Only one person needs to apply
- There is a $35.00 non-refundable fee, payable by cash only.
- A license is not effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day after the license is issued.
- The license is issued the same day you apply, and it is valid for 6 months (you must be married within 6 months or the license will expire)
Information You Will Need to Apply
In accordance with MD Code, Family Law Section 2-402, when applying for a marriage license, each party will be required to provide either a copy of an official government-issued birth certificate or another official government-issued document such as a driver’s license. If only one party comes in to apply, they will need to provide the required documentation for the other party.
You may want to complete the marriage application work sheet and bring it with you when you apply for the license.
- Full names
- Current Addresses
- State of Birth
- Social Security Number (mandatory)
- If you have ever been married before, we need to know the County and State and the complete date for EACH PRIOR divorce or death of spouse.
Marriage of Minors (under age 18)
As of October 1, 2022, House Bill 83 established individuals under the age of 17 can no longer marry in the State of Maryland. Individuals age 17 may not marry unless they can provide a certified copy of an Order that grants authorization to the Clerk of the Circuit Court to perform a marriage ceremony. To obtain this Order the individual must petition the court in the county they live in and follow the procedures related to that petition.
If you are not a resident of Allegany County and are unable to visit the Office of the Clerk, you may apply using a Non-Resident Marriage License Application-Affidavit (fillable PDF form). Right-click on the link to save the form to your PC. The Non-Resident Marriage License Application-Affidavit is a printable document. Please DO NOT complete the application until you are sworn in at the location in your area where you would get a marriage license.
Civil Ceremonies Performed by the Clerk
- There is a $25.00 non-refundable fee, payable by cash or money order before the time of the ceremony.
- Ceremonies will be performed between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Photography/Video Recording is PERMITTED during a civil ceremony however, you must receive consent from the presiding officiant for their inclusion in photographs/video recordings. We ask that you please respect their wishes. Please visit the following link for more information: https://www.mdcourts.gov/reference/cellphonenotice
Certified Copies of Marriage Records
Certified copies may be obtained (in person) at 30 Washington Street, Cumberland, MD 21502. You may also request a certified copy by mail. For your convenience, you may complete the Application for Certified Copy of Marriage License and mail it to the Clerk of the Circuit Court, 30 Washington Street, Cumberland, MD 21502. Please include in your request:
- Date of Marriage
- Cash or money order for $5.50 for each copy, payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court
Unfortunately, our office no longer accepts personal checks.
For further information on obtaining a marriage license or questions about civil ceremonies, please call 301-777-5922.