Marriage Licenses

There are 24 jurisdictions in Maryland. You MUST contact the County/City Court in the location where you plan to marry for marriage license information. The information below pertains to marriage license information for marriages taking place in ST. MARY'S COUNTY ONLY.

Obtaining a Marriage License

Application can be made at the office of the Clerk of Circuit Court for St. Mary’s County during regular office hours, Monday thru Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.

The application must be obtained in the county where the marriage is to be performed.

Effective October 1, 2022 – While only one party is required to apply for a marriage license, EACH party must provide a copy of an official government issued birth certificate or other official government issued document or record demonstrating their age.

If it is not convenient to visit the Clerk's Office in the county where the marriage is to take place, you may apply for a license using a Non-Resident Affidavit form. This form must be taken to the Clerk of the Circuit Court or comparable official where you reside. A "comparable official" would be the public official in the State, County, or Province where you reside who issues marriage licenses or performs the same duties as the Clerk of Circuit Court in Maryland. A notary public's affidavit is not sufficient, since that official, although a public officer, does not perform the same duties and is not comparable to a Clerk of Court in Maryland. Take the Non-Resident Application Form to your local official who issues Marriage Licenses and provide them with a copy of the instructions.

The Application Will be Taken Under Oath and Will Include the Following Information for both parties:

  • Full name
  • Place of residence
  • Age
  • State or Country of birth
  • The Social Security number of each party who has a Social Security number
  • The marital status of each party; and whether either party was married previously, and the date and place of EACH death or judicial determination that ended any former marriage
  • Whether the parties are related by blood or marriage and, if so, in which degree of relationship

The applicant(s) must sign the application. A $35.00 license fee will be collected at the time of application. The fee must be paid by either CASH or MONEY ORDER.

After the application process has been completed, the marriage license will be issued, however, the license will not become effective to use until 6:00 am two (2) calendar days later. The license must be used within 6 months of the effective date.

Civil Ceremonies

Are performed Monday thru Friday between 9:00 am - 3:00 pm at the St. Mary's County Circuit Courthouse. The fee is $25.00 payable by either CASH or MONEY ORDER prior to the ceremony being performed. An appointment can be obtained by calling the Clerk's Office at 301-475-7844 ext. 74563 or 74580. Or you may make your appointment the day you come in to apply for your marriage license. Please bring picture ID for both parties on the day of your ceremony. You are welcome to have guests attend if you wish.

Marriage of Minors (under age 18)

  • Minors under the age of 17 are no longer permitted to get married.
  • While only one party is required to apply for a marriage license, each party must provide a copy of an official government-issued birth certificate or other official government-issued document or record demonstrating their age, as well as state issued photo identification.
  • An individual 17 years old may not marry unless:
    • the individual has the consent of each living parent, guardian, or legal custodian of the minor person either in person or through an affidavit signed under the seal of a notary public; OR
    • if a 17 year old female individual does not have the required consent, a certificate from a licensed physician, licensed physician assistant, or certified nurse practitioner that states she has been examined by the physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner and is found to be pregnant or has given birth to a child; AND
    • the individual presents a certified copy of an order granting authorization to marry in accordance with the provisions of Title 5, Subtitle 2A of the Family Law Article not earlier than 15 days after the order was issued.  To obtain an order granting authorization to marry, a minor who is 17 years old may file a petition with the Civil Department in the Circuit Court in the county in which the minor resides, and an evidentiary hearing on the petition must be held to determine if an order of authorization to marry may be granted.  
  • If the Court issues an Order allowing them to marry, they cannot apply for the marriage license for 15 days after the date of the Order.

Read the Law: Md. Code, Family Law §5-2A-015-2A-025-2A-035-2A-04

Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses

Certified copies may be obtained from the Clerk's Office or you may request a certified copy by mail.  You may use our Request for Copy form for your convenience, the form is not required.  Please see below for the information you will need to provide if not using the form.  Mail your request to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for St. Mary’s County, PO Box 676, Leonardtown, MD 20650.  Our office is only able to certify a marriage record that has taken place in St. Mary’s County. 

Please Include in Your Request

  • Names of individuals at the time they were married
  • Date of marriage
  • Fees are $5.50 for EACH certified copy and/or $.50 for EACH non-certified (plain copy) you request
  • A check or money order for the total amount due is payable to "Clerk of the Circuit Court for St. Mary’s County"
  • Your return address
  • Your telephone number