Marriage License Information

The following information may only pertain to marriage license information for HARFORD COUNTY. You MUST contact the County/City location where you plan to marry or have been married for their specific requirements and information.

Licensing Office Location

Licensing Department (across from the Circuit courthouse)
7 West Courtland Street
Bel Air, MD  21014
410-638-3489 or 410-638-3586

Office Hours – 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday thru Friday
(Closed Weekends and State Holidays)

  • Marriage License/Copies - 8:30am to 4:15pm.

How to Apply for a Marriage License

  • No appointments necessary.
  • Only one party needs to be present to apply, but a valid government issued ID is required for each applicant (required per code).
  • Additional information needed for both parties are:
    • Full names
    • Current Addresses
    • Age as of the date of the application (Valid government IDs are require to verify age. See Marriage of Minors below)
    • State/Country of Birth
    • Social Security Number (required per code)
    • Previous Marriages – date for each divorce or death of spouse. If divorced within the last 6 months, a copy of the divorce decree must be presented.
  • There is a $50 non-refundable fee, payable by cash or credit card (Visa, MC or Discover).
  • The marriage license is issued the same day of the application. However, due to the waiting period the marriage license is not effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day after the license is issued.
  • The license will expire 6 months after the waiting period.
  • Age restrictions apply.

The marriage application work sheet is provided for your convenience. The completed form may be brought with you or completed in the office.

Non-Resident Marriage Applications

If you are NOT a resident of Harford County but getting married in Harford County AND unable to apply for a Harford County marriage license in person, you may apply using a Non-Resident Marriage Application.

This form must be taken to the Clerk of the Circuit Court or comparable official where you reside.  A “comparable official” would be the public official in the State, County, or Province you reside who issues marriage licenses or performs the same duties as the Clerk of the Circuit Court in Maryland.  A Notary Public affidavit is not sufficient.  Note that this provision is a Maryland law.  Clerks of the Circuit Court in Maryland will provide this service.  Comparable officials in other states, however, are not required to provide this service – Maryland law does not apply outside of Maryland – other states may refuse to complete the non-resident marriage application or charge a fee for providing this service.  If no comparable official will provide the service, one of the parties will have to travel to Maryland to make the application in person.

Marriage of Minors (Age 17) Per Md. Code, Family Law 5-2A-01, 5-2A-02, 5-2A-03, 5-2A-04

  • Proof of age - must be an original or certified copy of birth record or valid government issued ID.
  • Minors - 17 years old must present a certified copy of a Maryland court order, obtained from the county court in which the minor resides, granting authorization to marry to the Clerk of Circuit Court no earlier than 15 days after the order was issued.
  • In addition to the certified copy of the court order, a notarized written consent from each living parent or guardian, or legal custodian is required.  Or all parties (parties to be married and each living parent, guardian or legal custodian) are present at the time of marriage application. 
  • If the 17-year-old does not have all consents, either party to be married must provide the clerk a certificate from a licensed physician, licensed physician assistant or certified nurse practitioner. Certification from the physician, physician assistant or certified nurse practitioner must be written on his/her letterhead stating the physician, physician assistant or certified nurse practitioner has physically examined the woman to be married and positively determined she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the licensed physician, physician assistant or certified nurse practitioner.
  • 16 years and younger may not marry.

Civil Marriage Ceremonies

Civil Ceremonies are offered on a limited basis by appointment only. Ceremony times will be offered Monday through Friday (except State Holidays).  Please contact the licensing department for availability.

  • Valid identification for both parties to be married is required (driver's license, state issued id or passport) providing full names, addresses and ages.
  • Civil ceremonies are performed at the Ceremonial Room located at 7 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, Maryland (across from the Circuit Court courthouse).
  • There is a $25.00 non-refundable fee, payable by Visa, Mastercard or Discover only, at the time of the ceremony.
  • Ceremonies must be scheduled in advance after application is made. Guest limit of twelve is strictly enforced. This number of guests includes the parties getting married and any children (regardless of age). Additional guests will not be admitted.
  • It is important for the parties to be able to understand and communicate with the officiant.  If one or both parties to the marriage do not speak English or are hearing impaired, you will be required to bring a translator with you (an adult friend or family member over the age of 18 and fluent in both languages) to assist with translating the ceremony.

Marriage Corrections

  • Marriage Record Correction - Correction to Marriage Records may be requested in writing along with supporting documentation (example - birth record). For convenience, a Correction Request Form can be completed and mailed to our office.

Certified Copies

  • Certified Copies – Only available for Harford County Marriage Records
  • Certified copies may be requested in person, mail, email, fax or phone. Cost for certified copies are $5.50 each.  Please complete the Request for Certified Copy/Credit Card form of Harford County Marriage License. Acceptable forms of payments are cash, check, money order or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover).
    • In person requests may be made at the licensing office at 7 West Courtland Street.
    • Email requests to [email protected] with the credit card payment form.
    • Mail requests are sent to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Harford County, Attn:  Licensing Department, 20 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, MD 21014.
    • Fax requests to 410-838-8540.
    • Phone requests should be directed to 410-638-3489, -3586, or -3248.

Information needed for all certified copy requests:

  • Names of both parties
  • Date of Marriage
  • Payment
  • Return address for mailing copies

Foreign Marriage

  • If a couple has been married in another state or country and one of the parties is a resident of the State of Maryland, the couple may record the marriage (“Foreign marriage”) at the License Department.  The parties must provide a certificate of marriage signed by the individual who performed the marriage or an official certified copy of the marriage record.  There is no fee to record a foreign marriage.

For further information on obtaining a marriage license or questions about civil ceremonies, email to [email protected].