I Owe Money/Dealing with Debt

I’ve been served with court papers relating to a debt. What should I do?

Cases in the District Court

Have you had a trial yet? (select one for more information)

Cases in the circuit courts

Cases before the circuit courts are very complex. Consider getting help from a lawyer. Information about finding legal help is available here. You can also get help from the Maryland Court Help Center.

Where can I go for help with debt?

If you feel that you have more debt than you can handle, an approved credit counseling service can help you work out a repayment plan with your creditor without filing bankruptcy. The Department of Justice keeps a list of approved credit counseling agencies on its website.

How can I avoid Foreclosure?

If you are behind on a home mortgage payment, see Housing for information about the foreclosure process and ways you may be able to avoid foreclosure.

How do I file for Bankruptcy?

State courts do not handle bankruptcy. For more information about filing for bankruptcy in Maryland, visit the website of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland.