Access to Court Records
- File your request in the court that heard the case
- People's Law Library
- See publications listed on this page
- Expungement of Criminal Records(CC-DC/CR 72BR)
- Public Access to Maryland Court Records Booklet and
- Committee on Access to Court Records
- Tips for Your Day in Court - Video
- Finding Legal Help - Video
- Service of Process - Video
- Defending a Small Claim - Video
- See the forms listed on this page
Court records are generally open to the public, with several exceptions.
The following records are not open to the public without a court order or a special provision of the law:
- Guardianship terminating parental rights
- Juvenile delinquency
- Child in need of assistance cases (CINA)
- Certain marriage license information
- Emergency mental health evaluations
- Income tax returns
- Financial statements filed in a case about spousal or child support.
What Are Court Records?
Court records include:
- Other things that the court maintains in connection with a case
- Information found online on Maryland Case Search
In some instances, you may be able to ask the court to keep some or all information in a case private. There are several different ways to ask that the court limit public access to a case record, depending on your situation. See the following publications for detailed information on how to request access be limited.
Background ChecksBackground checks should be conducted through the Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) of the Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services which maintains Maryland’s fingerprint-supported criminal identification records and criminal history record information.
To learn more, see Background Checks on the Department's Web site.
NOTE: CaseSearch should not be used for criminal background checks.
|For Restricting Access to Court Records:|
|CC-DC-52||Request to Shield Information in a Case Record|
|CC-DC-53||Motion to Seal or Otherwise Limit Inspection of a Case Record|
|For Restricting Access to Court Records (for Respondents in a Peace or Protective Order Case):|
|CC-DC-77||General Waiver and Release - for use with shielding of domestic violence and peace orders|
|CC-DC/PO16||Request to Shield Peace Order Records|
|CC-DC/DV-21||Request to Shield Protective Order Records|
|CC-DC/PO-19||Motion for Appropriate Relief - for use with Request to Shield Peace Order|
|CC-DC/DV-25||Motion for Appropriate Relief - for use with Request to Shield Protective Order|
|CC-DC/CR-72||Petition for Expungement of Records|
|CC-DC/CR-78||General Waiver and Release|
|For Requesting Access to Court Records:|
|CC-DC-54||Motion to Permit Inspection|