As a designated application acceptance facility for the U.S. State Department, the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Washington County can assist you in obtaining a passport. Application forms are available in the Clerk's Office or you may download the application at the U.S. State Department's website. The application must be signed before an agent (a Deputy Clerk of the Circuit Court).
Passport applications are processed between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. No appointment is necessary. Each applicant must appear in person and present:
- Proof of
U.S. Citizenship (one of these)*
birth certificate issued by the city, county or state. A certified birth certificate
has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal and the date
the certificate was filed with the registrar's office. If you do not have a
certified copy, contact the Clerk's Office for instructions on how to obtain
Report of Birth Abroad
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Previous U.S. Passport
- Two pictures
taken by a certified photographer. The pictures must measure 2" x 2". These
pictures are made to withstand high temperatures that are used when passports
Vending machine photos are not acceptable.
- Proof of
Identity (one of these)*
- Current, valid driver's license (if issued by a State other than Maryland, must also have a second document from this list)
ID: city, state or federal
ID: military and dependents
- Work ID:
must be currently employed by the company
ID: must be currently enrolled
Marines card: also known as a "Seamen's" or "Z" card
- Pilot or flight attendant ID
- Previous U.S. passport
- Application fee. A check in the amount of $110.00 (16 and older) or $80.00 (15 and younger), made payable to "U.S. Department of State."
- Processing fee. The Clerk's fee for processing the application is $25.00 in the form of cash or a separate check payable to "Dennis J. Weaver, Clerk".
- Provide a Social Security Number. Section 6039E of the IRS Code of 1986 requires that passport applicants provide this information.
Your application will be sent to Passport Services for processing. You will receive your passport within 6 weeks via first class mail. Your passport will be mailed to the mailing address you provided on your application. Passport Services offers an expedited service for an additional fee - ask the Clerk's office staff.
For further information on applying for a Passport, please call us at 301-790-7991.
*If none of these are available, please see the U.S. State Department's website for information on alternative Proof of U.S. Citizenship and alternative Proof of Identity.